Public Notices and Press Releases

Suffolk DA: Four-Time Felony DWI Offender Detained by ICE After Allegedly Driving Despite Court Order

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Suffolk DA: Four-Time Felony DWI Offender Detained by ICE After Allegedly Driving Despite Court Order

Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez was released pending sentencing after August 7 felony DWI conviction and ordered not to drive, according to Suffolk County prosecutors

SUFFOLK COUNTY, N.Y. — August 18, 2026 — Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond A. Tierney announced that Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez, who was convicted earlier this month of his fourth felony DWI within 10 years, was detained by federal immigration authorities after allegedly being caught driving despite a court order prohibiting him from doing so.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

According to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Aguilar-Alvarez was convicted on August 7, 2026, after a jury found him guilty in connection with reckless driving in Southampton with a blood alcohol content more than twice the legal limit. Prosecutors said the conviction was his fourth felony DWI conviction within the past decade, in addition to a previous misdemeanor DWI conviction.

Prosecutors Had Requested Remand

Following the conviction, the District Attorney’s Office asked the court to hold Aguilar-Alvarez in custody while he awaited sentencing, citing his history of disregarding the law and concerns that he could flee the country.

The court instead released him pending sentencing, which is scheduled for October 2, 2026, according to the DA’s office. His driver’s license had been revoked, and he was explicitly prohibited from driving while awaiting sentencing.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

The DA’s office also stated that Aguilar-Alvarez had previously been deported in 2024 following his third DWI conviction and is currently in the United States illegally.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

Traffic Stop in Riverhead

On August 17, detective investigators with the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office conducted a traffic stop of Aguilar-Alvarez’s vehicle near Main Street in Riverhead, prosecutors said.

He was allegedly driving without a valid license and was taken in for processing. Authorities issued him a summons for Aggravated Unlicensed Operation of a Motor Vehicle in the Second Degree, an unclassified misdemeanor.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

Following consultation with the District Attorney’s Office, federal immigration authorities detained Aguilar-Alvarez as he was leaving after being processed in connection with the latest arrest, according to prosecutors.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

Tierney: “Clear and Present Danger”

Tierney strongly criticized Aguilar-Alvarez’s alleged decision to drive despite the court order.

“He is a repeat felony drunk driver who does not belong behind the wheel.”

Tierney thanked his office’s detective investigators for apprehending Aguilar-Alvarez and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for taking him into custody.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

The District Attorney’s Office said it plans to file a writ seeking to have Aguilar-Alvarez returned to Suffolk County for sentencing on his felony conviction and proceedings related to the latest summons.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

Aguilar-Alvarez’s latest charge is an accusation. Defendants are presumed innocent of pending charges unless and until proven guilty.

PressReleasePabloAguilarAlvarez_ICE.pdf

Media Contact

Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office
SCDAPress@suffolkcountyny.gov

###

Prepared for publication by Long Island Daily News
Long Island Daily News⁠

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified
Spam
Offensive